Thursday, July 5, 2007

The badger - friend or foe?

The badger, a peaceful animal, a friend. This was my attitude towards badgers until recently. You see, badgers are monsters. I believe they are born and bread in hell.
I guess it all started with my friend Anna. You see Anna lives in an area full of woods and fields. One night when she is walking home she meets him. The badger. A huge badger. He stands in the middle of the road, on his way crossing it, when he notices her. He then stares into her eyes and runs toward her, with insane speed! Anna naturally starts to run for her life, scared that it might be taken from her. After a while she manages to shake him off, and runs home, screaming. After this near death experience she met the badger again, twice.

This was last year, and I think about it every single time I walk that road. Of course, I didn’t really think I would meet one. Well that’s what I thought..
A couple of weeks ago I, together with Anna and our friend Joel went for a walk with Joels dogs. The dogs walk ahead and disappear behind a turn. And then it all happens so fast. A badger running straight at us with the same insane speed as the first one! I swear I thought my life was going to end that day. At least in Sweden we learn that badgers bite until they hear the sound of your bone cracking. When I ran that day I didn’t only hear our screams echoing over the fields, I heard my bones crack.
“Badgers are fierce animals and will protect themselves and their young at all costs. Badgers are capable of fighting off much larger animals such as wolves, coyotes and bears.” - Wikipedia

And humans!!!! If they can bring down a fucking bear, they can fight off anything, including me. And maybe even a dinosaur.

No comments: